With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Energy Program Overview
EDF's Energy program works to reduce the climate, health, and environmental impacts of the current energy system while accelerating the transition to a low carbon energy economy with clean energy access for all. We have successfully won climate and clean air protections across North America and internationally, including playing an instrumental role in the passage of sweeping clean energy legislation in California and Illinois; establishing oil and gas methane pollution as a priority environmental issue; - and prompting regulation of oil and gas methane in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
The Communications Associate is a vital member of the Energy Program's Marketing Communications team, primarily supporting the implementation of the Energy Program's digital marketing strategy and day-to-day execution of organic and paid digital marketing efforts across a range of platforms. This person will help plan, draft and publish digital content and monitor activity on digital channels, with a heavy focus on social media, as well as analyze performance to help generate reports and provide recommendations for communications and program teams. This person will be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the Lead Digital Specialist while working closely with communications leads, as well as coordinating with colleagues in brand communications, Webteam, analytics and program experts.
• Assist with implementation of Energy program digital strategy to grow the reach of our channels and improve engagement among target audiences.
• Manage daily operations of the EDF Energy program Twitter handle and provide operational support for other Energy brand or individual expert social media channels.
• Coordinate idea generation and content planning for Energy program core campaigns.
• Draft, edit and schedule tweets to promote Energy program blog posts, press releases, webpages, reports, etc.
• Conduct regular social listening to identify external content to promote and real-time opportunities to engage with energy influencers in media, government and industry
• Support thought leadership development for program experts using digital tools.
• Assist with planning, drafting and execution of social media ad campaigns across a variety of platforms, primarily Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
• Track and analyze performance of organic and paid social promotions and generate reports for communications and program staff.
• Provide recommendations to optimize current digital marketing efforts based on quantitative and qualitative analysis.
• Stay abreast of digital marketing industry trends, research new tools, platforms or channels, and identify opportunities to expand our efforts to better reach our target audiences and increase audience engagement.
• Research target audiences on digital channels and support development of marketing personas.
• Utilize social media to research reporters covering our issues and identify opportunities for communications leads to pitch reporters via social media.
• Take on special projects as needed.
• Bachelor's degree plus 1-2 years' experience in marketing, new media, journalism or public relations
• Digital marketing or social media experience preferred
• Comfortable with both creative and analytical approaches to work
• Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills
• In-depth knowledge of major digital marketing platforms, and ability to learn new tools quickly
• Excellent written communication skills, particularly for online formats, including social media, ad copy and webpage copy
• Ability to synthesize complex, detailed information into concise, engaging content
• Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities
• Excels in work both as an independent contributor and as a collaborator who is part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
• Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues or conflicts, and to think ahead to meet the needs of staff for successful results
• Strong research skills
• Ability to oversee, coordinate, and execute projects with a high level of accuracy
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point) and Adobe software programs
• Interest in the non-profit sector, environmental issues, and media communications preferred
• Multilingual is a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.