The Office of Chief Scientist (OCS) is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that the scientific backbone for all EDF policy positions is based on the best available information. To be effective in this role, OCS works with staff from across EDF and provides programmatic support for all EDF scientists as well as fosters relationships with scientists in academia, government and industry.
OCS collaborates with a wide variety of partners from researchers and academics to startups and large corporations to advance science and scale our solutions. With our air quality initiative, we have gathered high resolution spatio-temporal air pollution data and continue to do so. We have developed methodologies to analyze these data and derive meaningful insights, identifying persistent spatial air pollution trends. We are now embarking on an effort to automate and scale data analytics in the air quality domain. The term for this position is two-years, sponsored by the VoLo Foundation.
- Work with large, diverse and complex air pollution and spatial data sets
- Devise statistical methods to perform data profiling, cleansing, signal/noise separation and quality assure the data
- Understand the analytics workflow currently developed and executed manually, and create a design to automate
- Interact with domain experts to formalize requirements for valuable, frequently needed software functions and libraries (e.g., outlier identification), with a focus on generalizing individual, project-specific requirements, to facilitate reuse, automation and scaling
- Integrate machine learning to programmatically fetch insights about the data and reduce manual data analysis efforts
- Develop modular, plug-n-play software components that can be orchestrated into an automated workflow to scale data analysis processes
- Explore technology stack options and recommend the best fit
- Design and develop data visualization templates to present analytics results to the management, partners and general public
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to communicate analytical results to non-technical audiences
- Master's degree in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Engineering, Economics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related fields
- 3+ years of relevant work experience as a data scientist
- Proficient in a scientific programming language such as Python, R
- In-depth knowledge of the latest statistical and machine learning algorithms such as GBM, Light GBM, Random Forests, Neural Networks, Deep Learning as well as feature selection techniques
- Experience with SQL
- In depth knowledge of regression techniques: linear, ridge, logistical, etc. and able to interpret results
- Ability to work independently and proficiently; accountable for own results
- Ability to articulate technical data analytics concepts to managers and executives
Preferred Skills and Previous Experience
- Background in air pollution chemistry and/or physics is a plus
- Experience with cloud computing, big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and NoSQL databases preferred
- Environmental data analysis or air quality data analysis experience is a plus
This position will be located in Boston, MA, Washington, DC, San Francisco, CA or New York, NY.
*All interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in the role.
High Meadows Post-Doctoral Fellowship
The Office of the Chief Economist seeks one recent Ph.D. recipient with expertise in environmental, energy or natural resource economics (a research focus on China is especially welcome) for a one-year post-doctoral fellowship.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Office of the Chief Economist (OCE), led by EDF's Chief Economist, provides analytical support and thought leadership within the organization and beyond. We collaborate with programmatic and regulatory staff, blending economic insights from cutting-edge research with practical experience to design and implement market-based solutions to critical resource and environmental problems.
We publish original research in the leading peer-reviewed journals, write whitepapers and policy briefs, and produce digital content for the web and social media. We organize and participate in workshops on emerging issues with leading academics and experts, and regularly present our research at universities and conferences.
The Fellow will work collaboratively with other EDF economists, scientists, and policy experts to develop and advocate for economically and scientifically sound environmental policies.
The Fellow will work in a focus area, suited to his or her background and interests, from the range of EDF programmatic work including especially EDF China, climate and energy. Specific possibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
EDF China: Together with our office in Beijing, EDF's current priority is to ensure the success of China's upcoming national carbon market. OCE supports this endeavor through research, policy evaluation, bringing expertise from international carbon markets and engaging with the global economics community to deepen understanding of China ETS.
The China Energy Modeling Forum (CEMF) is a consortium of energy modeling teams that is organized from EDF China to address energy and climate scenarios and policy choices. Air pollution policy is seen as a complement to climate policy. An understanding of policy instruments directed at air pollution, their effectiveness, and the extent to which they complement climate policy, will be an increasingly important work stream.
Responsibilities will involve working closely and collaboratively with the China EDF team in Beijing to ensure that collaboration and mutual learning is maximized. A key task is to act as a bridge between research and policy development in regard to China ETS and the global economics community. Ability to communicate (verbal and written) in Mandarin will be an advantage.
Climate Policy: EDF works to advance durable, declining emissions limits achieved with a carbon price internationally by building capacity and linking existing programs across countries and regions. OCE's research includes evaluating existing climate policies and developing recommendations to support efforts at the international, federal, state, and regional level.
Clean Energy: EDF advocates for the introduction of efficiency-enhancing electricity pricing, and advanced energy policies that will promote clean energy. OEPA's research evaluates environmental impacts of U.S. electricity policies and regulations.
Gas and Electric Market Coordination: EDF works to reform U.S. natural gas markets to improve coordination between the electricity and natural gas markets. OEPA does research to evaluate existing market designs and their impacts.
Methane: EDF does pioneering work to address methane leakage from oil and gas systems, both in the U.S. and internationally. OEPA's research focuses on the economic damages associated with methane release, and designing incentives to internalize them.
- To perform original research, for publication in the Fellow's area(s) of focus, which will lead directly to the development or refinement of EDF's policy positions, and to contribute to EDF's advocacy based on the findings of that research
- To contribute rigorous economic analysis in support of EDF's advocacy, and participate in the development of strategy and in outreach to policymakers, stakeholders, and the public
- To monitor and synthesize the peer-reviewed literature relevant to the Fellow's area(s) of focus, and to synthesize and disseminate that information for EDF economists, scientists, lawyers and policy specialists
- To work with the EDF China team in analysis of China ETS, and capacity building
Successful candidates will:
- Hold a recent Ph.D. in one of economics, environmental economics, resource economics, economics and public policy
- Have a research focus on environmental economics as well as environmental policy-making in China
- Have proven interest in the application of economic theory or econometric techniques to relevant environmental, energy or natural resource policy issues
- Have exhibited creativity (with a dose of pragmatism) in advocating for sound policy
- Have demonstrated ability to work in a team setting, independently and to multitask to meet various deadlines
- Be well organized, motivated, detail-oriented, and willing to take initiative
- Have knowledge of statistical software (e.g., Stata or R) and coding languages (e.g., Python)
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, with knowledge of Mandarin an advantage
Term, Compensation and Location
The Fellowship term is one year. The Fellow will receive a highly competitive annual salary with a generous benefits package, and will have the option of working from EDF's Boston, New York City or Washington, D.C. office.
Please apply online and submit a cover letter indicating areas of interest, resume/CV, and two letters of reference. Questions can be directed to Jonathan Camuzeaux, Director in the Office of the Chief Economist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and suitable candidates will be invited to interview with our group over video conference, followed by a invitation to shortlisted candidates to present their research in person.
The Development Associate, Institutional Giving is responsible for providing proactive administrative and general clerical support to two to three team members of Institutional Giving (IG) staff. S/he will assist IG Officers in managing their donor portfolios, including supporting stewardship and cultivation processes through organizing meetings and performing a variety of data entry, record-keeping and clerical tasks. S/he will help ensure that team members and the department are well-organized and communicating smoothly, working with IG Officers and other staff to assess and meet administrative support needs. This position is based in San Francisco and reports to the Senior Foundations Officer.
- Provides top-notch administrative support including processing and tracking department correspondence; scheduling, attending and taking notes for internal meetings; scheduling supervisor's and team members' meetings and travel; and completing expense reports for IG Officers
- Data management:
- Creates and maintains accurate and up-to-date donor records in online system
- Responsible for creating and populating entries for donor meetings, reports, proposals and other activity
- Generates reports for IG team and other staff, including income projections, lists of upcoming deadlines and donor lists
- Manages list pulling and distribution process for weekly mass mailings
- Proactive assistance with grant solicitations, reports and donor cultivation. Tasks include:
- Building or formatting documents and spreadsheets; proof reading correspondence, reports and spreadsheets
- Gathering supporting materials and assisting IG Officers with preparation of reports and proposals
- Liaising with program and finance staff on reports and proposals; managing timelines and internal review processes, and assisting with review of financial reports and other related forms to ensure accurate and timely submission of donor materials
- Grant acknowledgement and tracking:
- Manages receipt and processing of awards; leads expeditious distribution of award letters and grant agreements to IG Officers and appropriate program and finance staff; drafts acknowledgments and communicates with IG Officers for edits and final approval
- Updates donor database in real time to reflect incoming gifts and acknowledgement
- Provide research assistance as needed
- Other administrative duties, as needed
- Bachelor's degree with relevant experience
- At least two years' experience working in a non-profit organization, with at least one year in development
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Proven ability to manage time effectively, juggle multiple tasks and perform under deadlines
- Disciplined self-starter
- Team player
- Willingness to take responsibility for assigned work, seeing it through to completion
- Proficient in all aspects of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience using development database(s) such as Salesforce and email software such as Outlook
To facilitate and support management in EDF New York offices with the daily programmatic, communication, operation needs between EDF China program in China with the US and other International offices.
- Support Senior Manager, Global Strategy – China Program in liaising with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop proposal/report submission.
- Coordinate to ensure smooth information flow between regional office with that of the headquarter, review monthly reports of actual vs. budget results; investigate, analyze and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advise program managers, program staff and finance staff on trends and issues of concern.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information and project management, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the China team and preparing correspondence and reports as needed.
- Support meetings and document meeting via excellent note-taking and meeting minutes;
- Organize internal and external meetings as assigned;
- Facilitate in internal and external information collection, translation, summary and compilation;
- Translation or editing between English and Chinese documents required;
- Administer contracts for consultants, including assistance in writing, processing contracts, and working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Maintain schedules and provide travel arrangements for program leadership (Program Director and Deputy Director).
- Oversee the administrative processes of the team, including expense reporting and invoice processing. Follow through with Finance staff to ensure these payments are made.
- Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, consultants and interns, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Maintain and update file libraries for team.
- Assist Program staff and other colleagues to better communicate and coordinate on joint projects.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree required or Master's degree with 3 years of experience.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Excellent management and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Ability to work independently, and successfully handle and prioritize diverse, simultaneous tasks.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Must be bilingual, fluency in both English and Chinese (Mandarin), verbal, written and oral skills required
Preferred Education and Experience
- Interest in environmental advocacy is preferred.
Human Resources Manager
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a full-time, highly-motivated and hands-on Human Resources Manager who has a solid foundation in all functional aspects of Human Resources. The position is located in EDF's New York office. The HR Generalist will provide critical HR support to the leadership team and employees throughout all EDF's offices, and will play a key role in achieving EDF's strategic goals by, promoting a high performance culture, and handling day-to-day generalist duties.
Key Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Conduct employee exit interviews, complete appropriate forms and provide feedback to supervisors.
- Provide assistance to staff regarding employee relations issues, as well as interpreting and applying company policies, procedures, practices, benefits, salary changes, etc.
- Conduct HR investigations; manager level and below
- Support performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within organization.
- Conduct research to determine the effectiveness of HR programs. Provide recommendations to policies, programs, and procedures to improve human resources operations.
- Keep abreast of current EEO guidelines, human resources legislation and regulations, as well as changes in the human resources field.
- Identify opportunities for increased effectiveness of current recruiting programs, including diversity outreach.
- Utilize HRIS and applicant tracking system (i.e., Workday and iCIMS).
- Assist with other HR-related tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of 4+ years' experience in a human resources generalist role
- Experienced administering human resources policies and procedures
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience; PHR certification preferred.
- Positive attitude and ability to remain flexible in an evolving environment.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, multitask, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Self-starter with high energy; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Good judgment to manage sensitive and confidential matters.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook; knowledge of HRIS and applicant tracking systems preferred (Workday and iCIMS a plus).
The Florida Diverse Engagement & Partnerships project is a collaborative and intersectional effort involving Moms Clean Air Force (Moms), Defend Our Future (Defend), EDF National Field Operations (Field), and EDF Latino Engagement & Partnerships, along with external partners such as Mi Familia Vota (MFV). The objective of this project is to build out an educational advocacy campaign with diverse communities by integrating current on-the-ground resources. This campaign will help mobilize communities around environmental and public health protections, along with community-identified issues, and foster conversations with lawmakers at every level of government to build support for diverse voices.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead strategic outreach in a battleground state that is experiencing climate change and is a top destination to thousands of Americans seeking refugee from Hurricane Maria. The Fellow will have the support of Moms and Defend - two special projects of the EDF, that combined have more than 1 million members currently organizing to combat air pollution and the changing climate crisis. In addition, the Fellow will conduct new research to better understand how EDF and partners can reach out to diverse constituencies that environmental organizations have been slow to reach engage.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Lead research on how to better engage millennial voters/voters in rural areas of the state
- Research, identify and engage new diverse partners at the local, state and federal levels, especially in the environmental justice field; serve as the relationship manager for selected groups and individuals
- Research targeted Congressional districts and legislators
- Work with special projects from EDF and their communications staff and consultants to develop and manage the social and traditional media communications that target diverse communities on behalf of EDF, always looking for new opportunities to better communicate with these constituencies, including researching and identifying new bloggers, creating memes and other visuals and messaging to engage EDF's membership, and ensuring there is consistent and robust engagement of communities of color across EDF's social media platforms
- Spearhead multiple district visits, including scheduling meetings with Members of Congress or their staff, developing and compiling lobbying materials, leading lobbying delegations on the Hill, and conducting follow-up to hill meetings including writing and filing lobbying reports and issuing thank yous to constituents and Members of Congress and staff
- Conduct 2-4 trips into the field to work with partners, EDF field consultants, and Moms organizers on in-district lobbying visits, events, conferences and outreach
- Investigate grant opportunities to support this program and potential programs in other priority regions, and work with EDF supervisors to develop and submit grant proposals
- Organize a Moms event emphasizing their various projects - Moms & Mayors, MadreTierra, Health Justice, District Play-In, etc.
- Organize an event specifically targeting millennials, where the Fellow will represent Defend
- Organize a field event targeting diverse business community members
- Produce notes and reports for events, field actions, and meetings
- Demonstrated interest in environmental justice, health and/or field organizing
- Preferred experience in field organizing, campaigns, or communications work
- Highly proficient in social media applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Ties to Florida ideal
Washington, DC (EDF's offices)
1 year Fellowship
Full-time (35 hours/week)
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with two writing samples.
EDF's brand is funded by scientific solutions and market-based incentives to ensure natural resource's sustainable management. California's water team is in a unique position of pioneering the first water transfer market in California. We get to design an environmental market from scratch, and the Tom Graff Fellow will develop a key part of the project.
In addition, the Tom Graff Fellow will be part of Tom Graff's legacy of the idea of using market forces to improve the environment by pushing for water marketing in California. Finally, the Tom Graff Fellow will spear-head a unique research process that combines, science, markets, and fieldwork. To test and promote the viability of water markets that benefit disadvantaged communities, the Tom Graff Fellow will work with urban and agricultural water users, policymakers, state and local agencies, environmental NGOs, and rural community leaders to design pilot projects in select basins at risk of groundwater overdraft. The project will require the Tom Graff Fellow to help lead the outreach, data collection and analysis of different water, geographic and socioeconomic indicators to support the development of water markets that benefit disadvantaged communities. And ensure sustainable groundwater management strategies for improving the reliability and resiliency of the water system.
Tom Graff Fellow will play a key role in the expansion of EDF's California Water Program to reform California's water markets aimed at making more water available for ecosystems and disadvantaged communities.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
Partnering with and securing support from local communities for an approach that will help improve groundwater quality and accessibility to safe drinking water
Exploring appropriate methods and tools to measure groundwater recharge aimed at increasing groundwater tables and thus improving groundwater quality by lowering concentrations of arsenic, nitrates, selenium etc
Supporting outreach and communications with local Central Valley stakeholders, and investigating the opportunity to pilot a groundwater recharge and water exchange project
Building partnerships with Latino organizations, grasstop influencers, political leaders and policymakers
Identifying opportunities for the development of water transfers and groundwater recharge on upstream fallowed lands that will improve groundwater quality of aquifers used by disadvantaged communities
Identifying any obstacles or barriers to the development of local water markets and suggestions for how to eliminate those obstacles or barriers
Participate in multidimensional efforts, round tables, and multi-stakeholder groups to gather information around the impact of groundwater threats on disadvantaged communities and other neighborhood pollution indicators in Central Valley census tracks
Investigating socio-economic impacts of water markets such as land fallowing and the effects it will have on rural local economy as well as health inequality in San Joaquin Valley (SJV) such as higher poverty, accessibility to safe drinking water etc and Social Determinants of Health - place, economic and social history and policy connected to overall lower health of SJV communities
Cultivating and strengthening local leadership from within communities to help promote practices that will make these communities more sustainable for the long-term
Assisting Project Manager in the implementation of the Leadership Institute, a capacity building workshop aimed to train a new generation of leaders to advocate for safe, reliable drinking water in their communities through hands-on communication, storytelling, market-based incentive design and advocacy training modules that translate water challenges and community stories into engaging talking points for policymakers and live audiences
Bachelor's Degree in social sciences, environmental science, public policy, international relations or other relevant disciplines
Meticulous attention to detail and organizational abilities
Displays initiative and works independently to solve problems in an efficient and effective manner
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interface with a wide variety of stakeholders especially vulnerable and disadvantaged groups
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Highly proficient computer skills including MS Office Outlook, Word, and Excel
Spoken and written Spanish is a plus
Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due
Targeted start date is October 1, 2018.
This is a newly created position designed to lead the Applications and Infrastructure teams to implement and shape the DevOps processes and practices, driving internal and external transformations to keep our team "ahead of the curve". The Senior Director, DevOps will lead a team of technical resources and will be responsible for building, implementing and directing automated cloud and development/operations principles as well as maintaining the quality of implementation and solution recommendations. This role ensures that the necessary guidance, processes and resources are in place to drive successful business outcomes.
The successful candidate will have a passion for monitoring, automation and optimization of global IT applications and infrastructure landscaping. The candidate should have strong business analysis skills and an aptitude for understanding/improving business processes using technology. This position will ensure that IT services are working seamlessly according to established service level agreements. He/she will be accountable for managing teams, allocating and monitoring work assignments and training/coaching staff. This position will report to the VP of Enterprise Software Solutions.
- Lead and direct multiple projects with a clear focus on technology landscapes as they relate to cloud and automation efforts.
- Establish and lead the service delivery culture for our growing cloud business, building best-in class service engineering capabilities in the DevOps team.
- Provide production support excellence to deploy the highest quality projects, maximize uptime and focus on flawless customer experience. Responsible for maintaining a high level of service availability. Perform quality reviews, manage operational risks, and operational issues.
- Evaluate the scope and complexity of IT projects and programs, implementing plans to achieve key outcomes.
- Responsible for the Engineering Operations, including software and tools needed by the Engineering organization to deliver high quality software solutions.
- Make recommendations to senior-level management on procedures to improve and streamline processes and establish best practices.
- Provide complex technical IT support to identify project risks and mitigation strategies. Communicate project status, risks, and issues to stakeholders.
- Incident Management including triaging, logging, prioritizing, tracking, communicating and resolution of all incoming support requests. Lead problem analysis and root cause analysis on key issues.
- Identify opportunities for automation and optimization and build into the deployment cycle to improve quality, productivity and efficiency
- Collaborate with corresponding cross functional teams for issues/requests requiring code changes or support.
- Build and maintain a knowledge base for easy future reference.
- Manage global applications and implement new technologies to support business processes, including the introduction of a new global ERP.
- Bachelors / Advanced degree in Business, Marketing or Engineering.
- 12+ years’ experience in software development, product development, infrastructure management, and/or advanced analytics.
- 7+ years of leading IT teams (software and infrastructure) and balancing competing priorities.
- Experience with implementation and maintenance of ERP and / or CRM and other enterprise wide business process automation systems. Implementation or working experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Familiarity / Experience with Cloud technologies and solutions such as AWS, Azure.
- Strong knowledge of Operating Systems Management (Windows, Linux), Server Management, Telecom and Networking
- Strong project management background including a detailed understanding of data analysis and manipulation to make decisions.
- Must be willing to wear many hats including Development, Solution Architecture, Project Planning and Resource Allocation in collaboration with the PMO.
- Adept at influencing others and driving change. Capable of partnering with the organization to deliver change management and project prioritization.
- Experience working with Global markets (Internationalization/Localization, LatAM/APAC/EMEA)
- Experience delivering software or online solutions in global enterprise environments.
- Experience leading and effectively managing a complex, reliable and scalable platform.
- High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Proven experience managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills and the ability to earn trust at all levels.
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically.
- Experience working in the non-profit industry is a plus.
- Experience with service oriented architecture and Agile development methodologies.
- Experience using tools to capture user stories, test cases, sign-offs, etc.
- Experience or use of PMP/Lean
The Senior Development Officer will lead the fundraising efforts for a select portfolio of high-level foundation donors and prospects (6-8 figure gifts), as well as provide effective team leadership to up-and-coming Development Officers and junior staff on the Institutional Giving team.
Department and Location
This position is part of the Institutional Giving team within EDF’s Development Department. The Development Department raises 90% of EDF’s $175M+ budget annually; the Institutional Giving team is responsible for raising about half of the department’s revenue. This position is located in either EDF’s New York or Washington, D.C. offices.
The Senior Development Officer, Foundations reports to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving.
- Working closely with program, finance and executive staff, raise and manage 6-8 figure gifts from foundations to support the work and mission of EDF. This entails a range of strategic stewardship and cultivation activities, including but not limited to:
- Developing and implementing donor cultivation plans and gaining buy-in from EDF’s program and executive leadership
- Preparing high quality proposals, reports and other donor-facing communications in collaboration with program staff and grant writers
- Constructing strategic talking points and other materials for program and executive staff to use in donor meetings
- Developing relationships with foundation staff and participating in funder meetings
- Leveraging the resources of department-wide research and donor engagement (communications/events) teams, as appropriate
- Provide management oversight and mentoring to mid-level officers, junior staff, and/or administrative staff, including delegating and overseeing work, and, as appropriate, providing guidance to ensure smooth operations and high performance across the team
- Develop and maintain strong knowledge of EDF’s program work to effectively represent, through both written and oral communications, a wide array of regional, national, and global environmental programs to inspire donors to support EDF
- Lead and/or facilitate frequent and ongoing internal communication within the development department, with program, finance and administrative staff, and at times, with the executive team to ensure coordinated engagement with donors across the organization
- Effectively make a wide range of both independent and collaborative decisions in cultivating and stewarding donors, using his/her best judgment and the input of program staff and development leadership, where appropriate
- Work effectively with staff across all departments throughout all EDF offices
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of 8 years of demonstrated success and increasing responsibilities in nonprofit fundraising, including strong track record of securing large gifts (at least six-figures) from foundations
- Experience managing other staff
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- The ability to work both as a team player and independently, as a self-starter
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to work effectively across the organization and among geographically-dispersed colleagues
- Outstanding interpersonal and listening skills
- Interest in environmental issues, and demonstrated ability to quickly develop a strong command of EDF’s issues and work
- Strong computer literacy, including Word, Excel, and donor management databases
- The ability to travel
The Executive Assistant provides advanced, diversified, administrative support to the Senior Vice President of the Energy Program, who is an Executive Team member and staff lead of the Energy Committee of the Board. The Executive Assistant anticipates the Senior Vice President's needs and proactively solves problems and/or independently handles issues.
- Manage the Senior Vice President's extensive meeting schedule and maintain SVP's calendar in Outlook, keeping track of deadlines and important events and reconciling conflicts
- Book conference rooms and video conferencing services as required
- Determine priorities and time sensitive issues on a daily basis for the SVP
- Coordinate the SVP's activities, negotiating and managing the needs of individuals or groups requesting time with or information from the SVP; committing the SVP's time based on an in-depth understanding of SVP's priorities and needs and SVP's role in the organization's framework
- Serve as the SVP's liaison to various internal and external constituencies, including screening correspondence and telephone calls; keep the executive informed of all matters requiring his/her attention
- Assist the SVP in preparing for meetings and appointments with Board Members, staff and external constituents, securing information and supporting materials from other departments, as necessary, providing hard copies one day prior to meetings
- Manage all travel booking (air, hotel, and ground transportation) and resolve all logistical travel issues prior to and during trip
- Organize and attend weekly team meetings; coordinate and communicate logistics for staff; prepare draft of agenda for the SVP's review, distribute agenda and supporting materials to attendees in timely manner
- Prepare and track a list of key takeaways and action items from each meeting
- Take notes and prepare clear and accurate minutes
- Coordinate regular (weekly or bi-weekly meetings) with all direct reports and other key EDF staff members. Ensure regular meetings are maintained and consistent
- Coordinate information flow and documents with internal and external parties
- Maintain and update the SVP's contacts
- Track all expenses and prepare monthly expense reports on time
- Maximize Senior Vice President's time by collecting and analyzing information and reading, drafting, researching, and routing correspondence and making follow-up phone calls as needed
- Assist in execution of events and team retreats
10% or less of travel is expected for this position.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- At least 4 years of working for senior-level executive
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure
- Excellent communication skills via written, spoken and graphical means
- Well-organized and adept at managing a busy senior-level executive's schedule to maximize their effectiveness
- Significant work experience in coordinating events and managing and executing projects that meet deadlines
- Excellent judgment and discretion and demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- Works independently and manages and prioritizes highly detailed tasks and initiates and manages multiple competing priorities
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Fluency in another language a plus
EDF has long been a champion of market-based solutions to environmental issues, including emission trading programs to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants. We helped design the sulfur dioxide cap-and-trade program in Title IV of the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments; were instrumental in passing and implementing California's emission trading system under its AB32 law; and played a lead role in the effort to pass comprehensive climate legislation in the U.S. Congress in 2009-2010. EDF's Global Climate team is at the center of this policy analysis and development, incorporating economic, scientific, and legal expertise to secure policy change at the state, federal, and international level to curb climate pollution.
EDF's Global Climate team seeks a Senior Analyst to provide critical research and analysis in support of our U.S. focused efforts to advance market-based policy solutions to address climate change. As a key player on a growing team, the Senior Analyst will inform our advocacy as we work to strengthen and expand carbon pricing regimes at the state level, and begin to lay the foundation for ambitious carbon pricing policy at the federal level. The Senior Analyst will also engage in efforts to defend against Trump Administration regulatory rollbacks and Congressional attacks on climate progress. The Senior Analyst will conduct and synthesize research and analysis through presentations and in written policy briefs and other communications materials. He/she will report to the Director of U.S. Climate Policy & Analysis and work in close collaboration with a range of EDF's climate, economic, and political experts.
Term: This is a 1 year term position. Upon conclusion of the term, the term may be renewed based on funding and programmatic need.
- Conduct research and economic analysis related to U.S. climate and energy policy - with a particular focus on federal carbon pricing policy, but also regulatory policy, and state/regional programs
- Design and analyze an array of existing and potential policy scenarios
- Evaluate and quantify environmental and economic market trends as well as the impacts of a range of policy options
- Develop and apply analytical tools, spreadsheets, and models, including the compilation and analysis of energy and economic data
- Review and synthesize academic literature and analysis as well as policy proposals on carbon pricing program design - both carbon taxes and cap-and-trade
- Evaluate and present results through clear and compelling oral presentations
- Write and prepare technical reports, policy briefs, and communications materials
- Respond to "rapid-response" queries relating to U.S. climate policy and/or economics from press/media, government, external partners, and internal sources
We are seeking candidates who have a demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and accurate technical economic analysis in the area of environmental and/or energy policy, preferably related to the use of market-based solutions. Candidates must have exceptional problem solving skills, be extremely detail-oriented and able to ensure consistency and quality of research products; and have advanced Excel and other MS Office applications skills. You should also have:
- Experience working on environmental policy, particularly climate change and energy, and ideally the use of market-based solutions to address environmental problems
- Familiarity with energy and economic analytical tools as well as major data sources of energy, environmental, and economic information (e.g. EPA GHG Inventory, EIA Annual Energy Outlook, etc)
- Familiarity with design and performance of carbon pricing and other market-based policies at the state, regional, and federal level, as well as federal regulatory approaches under the Clean Air Act
- Advanced Excel skills; proficiency with statistical analytical tools a plus
- Ability to effectively synthesize and communicate technical and policy findings in a clear and concise manner to colleagues internally and to external non-technical audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and critical deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with broad strategic guidance, as well as in support of and in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams
- Advanced degree in economics, environmental and/or energy policy, or a closely related field with at least 2-3 years of relevant professional experience or a Bachelor's degree with at least 4 years of relevant professional experience
This position can be based in New York or San Francisco
- Support Major Gifts, Foundations, Planned Giving and Membership for donor cultivation, stewardship and engagement events including (but not limited to) national teleconference calls, program briefings, trustee- and donor-hosted events, board meetings and others, as directed by the Director, Events Management
- Manage pre- and on-site logistical and other arrangements for donor events and functions under the supervision of the Director, Events Management
- Working with the Events Associate, coordinate invitation lists with portfolio managers
- Maintain department records of individual events to include attendees, copy of invitations and invited guests, agenda, staff wrap up notes and follow-up action
- Collaborate with Development and Program staff to identify opportunities for events that will advance the organizational fundraising and program agendas
- Coordinate the follow-up with Development event attendees, ensuring that portfolio managers have the proper follow-up tools so that all prospects receive the appropriate treatment
The successful candidate will:
Be a creative thinker with proven ability to work independently to simultaneously produce and manage multiple events from conception to completion
Be a self-starter, detail oriented and well organized
Have excellent communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with donors, board members, guest speakers and staff at all levels of the organization
Be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, C-Vent, Common Ground (or similar event or contact management software)
Be flexible to for extended work hours, weekends and travel, which will be at times be required
Have a minimum of 4 years' event-planning experience and/or a Bachelor's Degree. CMP or other meeting and events certification is a plus
The Communications Associate is a vital member of the Oil and Gas Marketing Communications team, primarily supporting external opportunities related to EDF’s corporate methane work. Core responsibilities include conducting media and events research, coordinating project timelines, and helping to execute on marketing communications plans. He/she will also draft and edit promotional and digital content for a variety of owned and earned channels. In this role, you’ll be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the Senior Communications Manager while working closely with colleagues in the oil and gas program, EDF+Biz, and brand communications.
- Support implementation of marketing communications plans and report out on results
- Draft media pitches, reporter backgrounders, press releases, letters to the editor, social media content, etc
- Maintain campaign trackers and timelines for major upcoming projects
- Manage and update all oil and gas media lists
- Pitch stories to reporters and develop media relationships at industry trade publications
- Prepare media briefing documents for program experts in advance of interviews
- Profile top-tier media publications to explore relevant and/or new venues to pursue
- Conduct periodic media audits for emerging topics of interest to business audiences
- Expand reach of our industry communications work through media and event research
- Track relevant communications activities of the companies working on methane
- Identify and maintain a list of issue validators that can speak to the business community
- Coordinate various kinds of audience research, with guidance from project managers
- Identify all opportunities for reaching target audiences with existing content
- Participate in planning and idea generation to help optimize our digital efforts
- Remain up-to-speed on best practices and digital tools available for reaching target audiences and expanding audience engagement
- Identify ways to update existing content for new distribution or audiences
- Help curate a library of human interest stories from across the oil and gas program
- Support corporate partnerships-related oil and gas communications work by scheduling team meetings, tracking action items, and sending notes and/or follow-up emails
- Take on special projects as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or Communications, or equivalent work experience
- Comfortable with both creative and analytical approaches to work
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including writing media pitches to expand the reach of our work and copy that is optimized for social media and digital ads
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities
- Excels in work both as an independent contributor and as a collaborator who is part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues or conflicts, and to think ahead to meet the needs of staff for successful results
- Strong research skills
- Ability to oversee, coordinate, and execute projects with a high level of accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point) and Adobe software programs
- Interest in the non-profit sector, environmental issues, and media communications preferred
- Multilingual is a plus
For futher consideration, please provide a writing sample.
The Senior Business Analyst will be responsible for acting as a liaison between the business users and technologists. This individual will need to have a good understanding of both business and technology processes to be able to explain the business needs to the technology teams. Similarly, the candidate would be able to understand and present back technological concepts to the EDF users. The candidate should be able to develop trust quickly by demonstrating sincere interest in the business and to empathetically relate to the business pains expressed. Should be able to see and understand multivariable cause and effect scenarios within the business and identify key root causes. Be able to lead brainstorming discussions for business problem resolution and able to communicate complicated business/technical solutions.
Responsibilities will also include maintaining documentation and process flows in line with Business Analysis best practices. The role will also involve the coordination of testing across multiple user groups and development teams to ensure the solution provided matches the business needs.
- Ability to drive the requirements gathering process, determine needs and clearly articulate as simple use cases and acceptance criteria for features & enhancements
Participate in design sessions to ensure requirements are addressed in the order of priority. Ensure adherence to the business objectives learned from the requirements sessions.
Excellent verbal and written skills - to both internal and external clients
Proficient at writing requirements document, use cases, user stories and delivering presentations
Ability to translate between business process and Technology
Attention to detail and meeting deadlines
Ability to work under pressure
Ability to prioritize and manage own time based on the business needs
Ability to multi-task
Ability to work in a team environment
Ability to work with both business users and technology teams in other locations remotely
Awareness and correct assessment of risk and exposure issues
Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Project, Visio, PowerPoint
Requirements Planning and Project Management
Requirements Analysis and Documentation
Solution Assessment and Validation
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, accounting or related
5+ years of Business Analysis experience
Awareness of Agile software development and deployment processes
Ability to grasp new concepts and technologies quickly in a fast-paced environment
The urge to be part of a team of highly skilled people, all with strong opinions about various technologies, frameworks, and approaches to delivery
Working knowledge of Jira, Slack, Aha!, Pivotal Tracker configurations is a strong plus
This role will design, develop and implement a global total rewards strategy which supports global talent attraction, retention and engagement. The incumbent will be responsible for global compensation, employee health, welfare, wellness and retirement programs of the organization.
- Ensures the success of our Total Rewards programs through analysis and insights of programs, employees, and market trends.
- Ensures that compensation programs are aligned with the overall business goals and objectives of the company in doing so, directly manages the design, implementation and administration of compensation programs including job evaluation, salary structure development and administration, and recognition programs
- Lead the development of a cost-effective health, welfare and wellness plan design that is competitive with the marketplace, and for keeping abreast of employee plans and programs developments, trends and issues and informing HR Leadership Team and senior executives thereof.
- Collaborates with and provides a consultative approach to Business Partners and relevant clients to develop and execute local compensation solutions to meet the needs of daily operations and unique business situations. Partners along with Finance during the budgeting process and throughout the year regarding benefits and retirement costs.
- Evaluate, level, and determine the market value for new and existing jobs
- Conduct ad hoc compensation analyses and projects as well as compensation benchmark assessments; actively seek market intelligence and industry-specific data to inform appropriate solutions for assigned clients
- Participates in external salary surveys, including salary survey submission and analysis of data
- Assist in creating, applying, and maintaining salary structures and hiring ranges
- Develop compensation proposals for newly promoted and newly hired employees (both executive and non-executive)
- Administer the annual merit increase, bonus, and long-term incentive program and communication for assigned clients
- Align the Performance Management process with the Compensation system so that we are appropriately differentiating and rewarding performance either financially or non-financially (growth & development).
- Organize Benefit Plan Committees, hold and lead meetings throughout the year.
- Manage existing defined contribution and defined benefit retirement plans, ensuring timely and accurate funding of plans, and developing metrics on each plan, regulatory compliance, and overseeing plan audits.
- Provide oversite of vendors with the Benefits Manager and annual renewals negotiation. Presents proposed changes and cost to Executive level. Prepares communication plan, materials and roll out of plans for the year to employees.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Human Resources, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Accounting or Business), advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of management experience in compensation, benefits and systems.
- 5+ years of experience managing a Compensation & Benefits team
- Progressive leadership and management experience in Total Rewards design.
- International compensation experience with an understanding of geographic nuance in market data and philosophical differences
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills.
- Very strong Excel skills, including pivot tables and financial modeling
- Exceptional verbal and written presentation skills, including ability to prepare materials for audiences at all levels of the organization